Medications similar to Valium
A lot of people suffer from anxiety disorders worldwide. For some of them anxiety symptoms are something they have to deal with on daily basis. Constant anxiety symptoms affect the ability to properly function at home, school and work.
In most cases, Valium is often prescribed which is effective in treating anxiety. But there is one question bothering a lot of people: ‘Is it possible to find a Valium replacement?’
There are a couple of medications similar to Valium. Let’s take a closer look at them.
- Xanax. This drug is prescribed to fight anxiety disorders, insomnia, seizure disorders, muscle cramps and alcohol withdrawal. Just like Valium, Xanax is a minor tranquilizer. Its main goal is to boost the activity of gamma-aminobutyric acid. If your body doesn’t get enough of it, you may feel anxiety.
- Klonopin. This medication is also known for treating panic disorders and chronic anxiety. The worst downside of Klonopin is that it stays in the body’s system for a longer period of time than other similar medications.
- Ativan. It is used to treat anxiety and other psychiatric disorders. Antivan is also prescribed to people who are going to have different medical procedures as it possesses strong sedative effect. However, this drug may lead to severe side effects such as suicidal behavior and aggression.
- Lexotan. It is also used to calm patients who are about to undergo surgical procedures. Lexotan isn’t recommended for pregnant women as it affects the health of unborn children.
- Serax. Another anti-anxiety medicine which acts on the brain and nerves and produces a calming effect.
- Librium. It is a therapeutic agent which relives the symptoms of anxiety, as well.
In summary, all mentioned above medications which may replace Valium are rather controversial. So, it is up to everyone to select a drug which will be appropriate for them based on the condition they are trying to treat. Some of these are extremely addictive and shouldn’t be taken for extended periods of time. It is advisable to consult your doctor in order to avoid serious side effects and get the most helpful in your case medicine prescribed.